Kaffeepause #14


it's saturday. i spend the day getting over last night's hang-over and cleaning my apartment. i barely left the house; instead i watch the newly released season of love my favorite netflix original show. one of the main characters, mickey, reminds me of a friend, so i kind of get emotionally hooked on it. what really threw me off the wagon today was the critically acclaimed movie call me by your name. i really cannot get over its beauty. it's superb, breathtaking and has a great speech at the end.
  • "We rip out so much of ourselves to be cured of things faster than we should that we go bankrupt by the age of thirty and have less to offer each time we start with someone new. But to feel nothing so as not to feel anything - what a waste! Then let me say one more thing. It'll clear the air. I may have come close, but I never had what you two have. Something always held me back or stood in the way. How you live your life is your business, just remember, our hearts and our bodies are given to us only once. And before you know it, your heart is worn out, and, as for your body, there comes a point when no one looks at it, much less wants to come near it. Right now, there's sorrow, pain. Don't kill it and with it the joy you've felt." – Mr. Perlman (The dad)

podcasts
something i look forward to on each of my trip to home by car, is the time i have for podcasts. three straight hours which need to be passed with audio entertainment only. i switch it up with music but 80% of my car ride is spend listening to others speak. as i was up to date with the newest episode I dug up some older ones on my last ride home:
  • The New Yorker Radio Hour, Episode 70 with Keegan-Michael Key (David Remnick's interviews are my newest obsession)
  • You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes, Hasan Minhaj (i really enjoyed their reflections on religion and the western world's need for spirituality)
  • All Songs Considered, Why SXSW Matters: The Best Of What We Saw, 2017 (I cannot get this idea out of my head to go to the next festival...)
  • Terrified with Dave Ross & Anna Seregina, Hasan Minhaj
  • Hidden Brain, Schadenfacebook


music
it's still march but i'm already very excited about festival season. i hope to find more jewels on my next "field trip". my current obsessions are

  • Live audio cut of James Tillman's Keep Rising via Spotify
  • Vision of Gideon by Surfjan Stevens – the soundtrack to the movie call me by your name
  • Don't by Daniel Freitag – a german band i saw last weekend at Hafen2
  • Interstate Vision by Lomelda – my latest find via Audiotree
  • Music from and inspired by Black Panther was playing in loop during my mental preparation for Kendrick Lamar's concert at Festhalle in Frankfurt
  • i also came across the band Young Father via the latest edition of the Magazine intro– it's very different to the music i know... and a more political band than expected
  • FKA twigs's In Time & Two Weeks – very sensual, extravagant music i did not expect
movies
as it is oscar season there are many films i'm ether obsessing about or can not wait to see
  • Call my By your Name  – that is right, i have now dropped this movie for the third time in one effing post.
  • The Shape of Water – it's an experience!
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri – a perfect movie.
  • The Big Sick – I could watch this movie 3 times in a row. really. and i would not get bored.
  • Black Panther – i'm watching it this sunday and cannot wait! That soundtrack man...
  • Lady Bird will unfortunately be released in Germany by April, 19th – finally something that'll fill the gap Frances Ha, Lola versus and While We're Young has left.
2018 is very promising.

Comments

Popular Posts