apple crumble cake
because my first try baking a crumble cake was such a delicious experience I continued the crumbled path of success to make an apple crumble cake. this recipe makes a simple but delicious cake that serves well at lunch after a light meal. the apple crumble cake is very light and goes perfectly with whipped or ice cream. be aware that this recipe gives you a smaller cake, baking it preferably in a cake tin with ø 20cm.
60g soft butter, plus more for your cake tin
1 tsp baking powder
3 apples (preferably apples with sour taste e.g. braeburn)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
40g cold butter, in little quarters
70g fine brown sugar ("Vollrohrzucker")
- set oven to 170°C. butter tin and sprinkle with flour. in a small bowl mix ingredients for crumble topping; first sift flour and cinnamon, then add butter - rub in butter with hands until a fine dusty texture is created. now add sugar.
- in a mixer combine butter and sugar until fluffy, now add egg and mix on medium-high speed. sift all dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) in a different bowl.
- now add half of dry ingredients to mixture, and add half the amount of milk. continue adding remaining dry ingredients and milk. now fold mixture into prepared cake tin.
- quarter apples and cut 3-4 slices of each quarter and carefully spread on cake in a circular fashion. now add crumbles.
- bake for 35-45 minutes until crumbles are golden brown. let rest in tin first then take out carefully.
- serve warm with ice-cream or whipped cream.